Friday, April 24, 2009

One Month Old

Wow! One month ago today, our lives changed dramatically. Andrew and I feel so blessed with the newest addition to our family. It's wonderful having Claire. Granted, there are times when the crying doesn't appear to have an end, but we still look at her with a smile on our face and kiss her adorable cheeks in between the shrieking. We find ourselves thinking in 3 hour increments now (because that is typically when the feeding begins). We are starting to understand what some of her cries mean. Usually, she has an air-bubble and can't seem to burp. Claire loves to move. She can be settled by a walk in the Bjorn, or the stroller, or a ride in the car seat. I love how she plays with her hands. When she's hungry, she'll suck on her entire fist until the food comes. As she's nursing, she'll sometimes clasp her hands together, or hold one hand up around her mouth like she's telling me a secret.

This week has been my first at home alone with Claire. Before she was born I kept thinking about how bored I would be with this "maternity leave." Boy was I wrong. While she does sleep well at nights, she keeps me busy during the day. Yesterday, she finally took a nap in my arms around 1 pm. I didn't want to disturb her by putting her down, so while she slept for 2 hours, I hesitated putting her down until 2:45 pm, so I only got to reap the benefits of 15 minutes. In that time, I unloaded and re-loaded the dishwasher, I folded and put two loads of laundry away and started a third in the washer, and managed to straighten the kitchen. Then, the alarm went off.

It was about a year ago today that Andrew and I discussed when a good time would be to start a family. Of course you can't really plan these things and she came much sooner than we had anticipated, but we're so glad she did.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing what you can accomplish in just 15 short minutes. This is why women multi-task and men just sit there and contemplate what they should be doing (but never quite get around to it).
Grannie

Becca C said...

First, I agree with your Grannie. :)

Second, if you say Claire cries so much, then why do you keep posting these cute pictures of her? You should be posting the ones where she's screaming at the top of her lungs so that you don't skew the image of parenthood for those of us don't have children yet. Matt says that the evidence (i.e. the pictures) points to the fact that she never cries, enjoys just "hanging out" on the floor by herself, and has only eaten once (and that was from a bottle). Seriously, though, I love looking at her pictures...she's adorable!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Grannie too!

Also, I had to laugh out loud at what Becca C said was "the evidence". That is very true. If I hadn't been there and seen it with my own two eyes, I would think that this child never cries.

I love that first photo for the one month set! IT is adorable. I can see some of both of her parents in her.

Love,
Aunt Laura

Mills said...

LOVE the pics! Happy one month, Claire!