Tuesday, June 1, 2010

First Day of Daycare

Claire had her first day of daycare today. She did extremely well. We went twice last week for 30 min. or so, to get used to the teacher and classroom. Today, we arrived around 7:45am, walked in and sat on the floor and right away a girl brought Claire a fake orange. Then, Claire followed the girl to the play kitchen and they played with all sorts of fake pasta, fish, pizza, etc. After a few minutes I gave Claire a kiss on the forehead and walked to the other side of the counter to tell her bye. I couldn't even get her attention. One of her new classmates waved goodbye to me, but Claire was too busy exploring. I called around 1:15pm to see how she was doing and they said she hadn't cried at all. She was a little fussy during diaper changes which was no surprise. They said she ate very well at lunch and tried to eat other children's cornbread. At nap-time she just laid on the floor looking at the lights until she fell asleep. When I picked her up around 4:30pm, she wasn't overjoyed to see me, but did come to me when brought in my direction. Needless to say, the day was a success. I hope tomorrow will go as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that Claire settled in so easily. She's a very social little girl. Hope things continue along the same happy lines. Wish I could be her daycare instead.
Grannie

Becca C said...

I can only imagine the stress of worrying that you'll get the "Mama! Don't leave me here!" look of desperation when you leave your little one at daycare the first time. It sounds like Claire adjusted quite well though. I think the first day can definitely be considered a win...

Mia said...

Wanting to eat all the cornbread is genetic! She is Mia's girl.